I Am Getting Rid of My ButsOctober 22, 2009
In my vocabulary, I am getting rid of the word, “but.”
It reeks of confrontation, judgement:
- “I loved what you wrote but we think differently about that.”
- “Great blog but it would have been better if…”
- “I hear what you are saying, but I am right!”
What about “and”?
- “I loved what you wrote and I noticed we think differently about that.”
- “I both respect and disagree with what you just said.”
- “I hear what you are saying, and…”
“And…” — such a nice word. Amiable. Accommodating.
“BUT…” — Not so nice. Blustery. Blowhard.
So I am getting rid of my buts. Be gone! Bye bye!
Say hello to ‘and’ — Absolutely!